Services for Breast Cancer Patients
- Breast Cancer Education and Counseling: Individualized care coordination and support are offered through our Breast Care Coordinator from initial diagnosis to future follow up. Patients may call at any time during their treatment for an appointment. No referral is needed. Please call (510) 752-2718 for further information.
- Breast Tumor Board: A multidisciplinary team of health care providers, including breast surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and geneticists, meets biweekly to discuss cases and determine treatment plans. Not all patients have their case discussed at tumor board. Please speak with your breast surgeon.
- Comprehensive Imaging Services: We provide full service screening and diagnostic mammography, breast ultrasound and breast MRI services at the Oakland Kaiser campus. Our diagnostic breast service is staffed by board certified radiologists. We work very closely with referring primary physicians, surgeons and oncologists to provide comprehensive imaging evaluations. We also perform percutaneous breast biopsies at the Oakland campus using ultrasound, stereotactic and MRI guidance. Our dedicated staff is committed to guiding each patient through the biopsy process in the timeliest and most compassionate way possible.
- Pathology Services: We offer Fine Needle Aspiration to our patients in the breast clinic. This is a biopsy technique that is performed with a very small needle to determine what the cause of a mass may be and to aide in deciding if the area needs to be removed or evaluated further. Often we are able to obtain these results within 24 hours or in some instances on the same day.
- Recovery from Breast Surgery Workshop: An active physical therapy session for women who have had breast surgery. Learn about post-surgical range of motion and strengthening exercises as well as lymphedema education. This class is held the 2nd Wednesday of every month, 2:30 - 4:00 pm. Please call (510) 752-2718 for a referral.
- Breast Cancer Support Group: This drop-in support group is designed for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to address the psycho-social and emotional effects of a new breast cancer diagnosis. We meet every Tuesday from 4:00 - 5:30pm in the Surgery department conference room at Oakland Medical Center. Please call (510) 752-2016 for additional information.
- Reconstructive Services: We provide comprehensive breast reconstruction care from immediate to delayed reconstruction at Kaiser Oakland and Richmond facilities. We offer implant as well as flap reconstruction and work closely with general surgeons and oncologists to tailor breast reconstruction to meet each individual’s needs. We also offer breast reduction as well as cosmetic breast services such as augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift).
- Clinical Trials: Kaiser Permanente is a major participant in clinical trails for breast cancer. We are members of NSAPB (National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project) as well as SWOG (Southwest Oncology Group). We have a clinical trials nurse for the East Bay and she is available to answer any questions regarding specific trials. For more information, see Clinical Trials .