Student Placement Requirements
All students must be represented by an affiliated school and program which has a signed contract on file with the Northern California Kaiser Permanente Regional Office.
Department Managers must have agreed to accommodate a student placement
The student placement packet should be submitted 4-6 weeks prior to the requested externship start date.
Submitting incomplete or old documentation may delay the placement process for the student.
Completed student placement packets may be submitted via fax to
|General Student Placement||Inpatient Nursing Placement|
|Phone: (510) 675-6844||or||Phone: (510) 675-5530|
|Fax: (510) 675-6673||Fax: (510) 675-5535|
Student Placement Process
We request that you follow the times listed below to allow time for you file to be processed.
6-8 weeks before desired placement start date
School Externship Coordinator needs to submit request for student clinical rotation or preceptorship
Using CPPS for inpatient clinical rotations or
Using the Student Placement Request form* fax to
General Placement Fax: (510) 675-6673
Inpatient Nursing Fax: (510) 675-5535
*Students should contact their School Externship Coordinator to discuss possible Kaiser placement. If the school doesn’t have an Externship Coordinator, the student may submit the Student Placement Request form and Kaiser Placement Coordinator will respond to them.
Kaiser Placement Coordinator after receiving the Placement Request form will determine
1. Is school and program Affiliated?
· If no, provide information to school on how to request contract agreement
· If yes, will contact the Manager/department regarding request
2. Can the Manager/department accommodate request?
· If yes, notify school/ student to begin the Student Placement Packet Process
· If no, student/school notified
4-6 weeks before desired placement start date
Student / School Externship Coordinator submits the Student Placement Information Sheet by faxing to General Placement Fax: (510) 675-6673 or Inpatient Nursing Fax: (510) 675-5535
Kaiser Placement Coordinator will submit NUID request to KP Identity Manager and e-mail student or school coordinator the student(s) NUID and directions to request KP Learn External User ID
3-5 weeks before desired placement start date
Student needs to
1. Request KP Learn External User ID online (allow 5-10 days for it to be processed)
2. Submit Student Placement Packet to Kaiser Coordinator by faxing their
Health/Medical Records showing students have met the Health Screening Requirements
3. After receiving the response about the KP Learn External User Account student needs to Register
for required KP Learn Web Based Trainings
Kaiser Placement Coordinator will review the submitted documents and
Notify student/school coordinator if additional documentation or action is required
Submit completed health screening packets to Employee Health Services for review
2-4 weeks before desired placement start date
· After completing the web based trainings in KP Learn, print out the Certificates of Completions for (Safety, Core Review and Compliance).
· Fax the Certificates to Kaiser Placement Coordinatorat least 2 weeks prior to desired start date
Kaiser Placement Coordinator
1. Confirms that the student's placement packet was cleared byEmployee Health Services
2. Confirms that the KP Learn Certificates of Completion for web based trainings were received
3. Sends clearance e-mail to student, school and department indicating when student can start.
Contacts Department Manager or Preceptor to finalize placement details using information provided in clearance email
1st Day of Placement
1. Brings Department Orientation form printed out from clearance email
2. Meets Manager/Preceptor at designated place and time
3. Faxes completed Department Orientation to Kaiser Permanente Student Placement Coordinator
1. Reviews Department Orientation with Student
2. Assists Student in getting Kaiser Security Badge
3. Confirms schedule with Student and completes school's paperwork (as needed)
Additional forms and information
EHS Symptom Questionnaire For students submitting Chest X-ray for TB requirement
Minor Treatment Consent form For students under 18
For questions regarding the student placement process please contact
General Student Placement
Inpatient Nursing Placement
Phone: (510) 675-6844
Phone: (510) 675-5530
Fax: (510) 675-6673
Fax: (510) 675-5535