Glucose Tolerance Test
Instructions for Glucose Tolerance Test
This test is sometimes used to test for diabetes.
Your provider has ordered a test that requires a 12-hour period of fasting before your blood is drawn.
1. Eat your usual diet before the test.
2. Do not eat or drink anything except plain water for 12 hours before having your blood drawn.
3. Avoid smoking, breath mints and gum chewing prior to having your blood drawn.
4. Take any medications ordered by your provider but do not follow any food-related instructions for the medication. Refer to these instructions instead.
5. Bring any written information or laboratory slips the provider gave you when reporting for the tests.
6. You will be given a glucose (sugar) solution to drink and blood samples will be drawn at timed intervals. The timing of each blood draw is very important.
7. This test will take several hours. Please plan to remain in the building until the test is completed.
Note: Fasting is not required for the prenatal one-hour glucose screen tests (GLUCP).