Awards and Recognition
Permanente physicians don't simply practice a different model. They put substance over style, reality over spin and results over compensation. Clinically excellent and respected in their own right, they work as a team to deliver more than the sum of their parts. The result? Widespread recognition on top doctor lists, quality accolades, accreditation for clinical care and patient service and satisfaction at both the physician and organization-wide level.
In recent years, more than 400 of our physicians have been named a "top doctor" by well-respected publications1. Some of those physicians have been recognized several times over.
- 168 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Top Doctors" by Northern Virginia Magazine (February 2017)
- 38 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Top Doctors" by Baltimore magazine (November 2016)
- 105 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Top Doctors" by Washingtonian Magazine (November 2016)
- Named Best of Bethesda 2016 by Bethesda Magazine readers for Primary Care Physicians, Podiatry Practice and Dermatology Practice
- 50 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Top Doctors" by Washington Consumers' CHECKBOOK (Fall 2014/Winter 2015)
- 7 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Top Pediatric Physicians" by Washingtonian MOM Magazine (Spring 2014)
- 128 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Super Doctors" by Washington Post Magazine (October 2013)
- 86 Permanente Physicians recognized as "Super Doctors: Rising Stars" by Washington Post Magazine (April 2013)
In addition to consumer magazines, individual physicians are also frequently recognized by quality programs. Notably, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group has more primary care physicians recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance than any other medical group in Maryland, Virginia or Washington, D.C. for the Diabetes Recognition Program (DRP), which is a clinical review of medical records regarding care provided to patients with diabetes. As of July 2016, 156 MAPMG primary care physicians were recognized DRP clinicians.
Awards, honors and recognition have been earned in virtually every measure of performance. Because Permanente physicians provide the large majority of care to Kaiser Permanente members, they are integral to many accolades earned in the health plan arena.
- MAPMG was an honoree for the 2013 Acclaim Award, a prestigious award given by the American Medical Group Association (AMGA) to a select few high-peforming medical groups in the nation
- Kaiser Permanente of the Mid-Atlantic States ranked highest in overall member satisfaction among commercial health plans in the Mid-Atlantic States region for the eighth consecutive year, according to the J.D. Power 2016 Member Health Plan Study2
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc. was one of only two plans in the Mid-Atlantic (and only 1 of 13 in the nation) to earn a 5 out of 5 from the National Committee for Quality Assurance in the 2016-2017 Private Health Insurance Plan ratings (a comprehensive "apples-to-apples" analysis of clinical quality and patient satisfaction across hundreds of health plans)
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc. was the highest rated Medicare plan in the National Committee for Quality Assurance's 2016-2017 Medicare Health Insurance Plan ratings (a comprehensive "apples-to-apples" analysis of clinical quality and patient satisfaction across hundreds of health plans)
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus (Cost) rated 5 out of 5 Stars in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., in 2013-2017, Medicare's highest possible rating, 5 years in a row3
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States, Inc. is rated No. 1 (has the the highest rate in the nation) on several clinical quality measures for for prevention and condition management - both for Private plans and Medicare plans according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance's Quality Compass® database
Accolades and recognition for Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group and Kaiser Foundation Health Plan (together, Kaiser Permanente of the Mid-Atlantic States) is founded upon national and regional leadership in key measures of clinical quality. Examples of our performance relative to the national average, which is made up of competitor health plans, and their networks of physicians across the community, are shown in the following results for the commercially insured population4:
Chronic Condition Management
Additional Wellness, Prevention and Treatment Metrics